Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Acts 2 - Model for Discipleship

Okay, so I was on vacation last week and did not attend the Acts 29 Wednesday night study, and I was not around to comment on my blog the following Thursday, so I am playing catchup on Tuesday; but I had a great time away.  Summer is a great time for a vacation!

I find Dr. Terry Teykl's thoughts on Acts 2 both imaginative and provocative.  I would not make the point that religious homilies fail to budge people from their complacency, as he does in his booklet.  For me, worship is not about a homily or a sermon, but the whole worship experience and you cannot judge the value of worship and the impact it has on people by a 10 minute, 20 minute or 45 minute message.  We must also remember that the study on Romans which John Wesley attended on Aldersgate Street in London 1738 did not appear to impact Mr. Wesley until later, when after he left the study he writes that suddenly his heart was strangely warmed and then he knew that he was indeed loved and saved by God, even Mr. Wesley.

On the other hand, I really liked his comment that Acts 2:42 - 47 provides a model for discipleship and fellowship among believers.  Terry writes, "New converts did not just fill out decision cards - they devoted themselves to apostolic teaching, to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer."  As I pray today I'm letting my prayers be led by this text of scripture in Acts 2:42 - 47.  I pray that all our new members who have joined in the last couple of years are finding places where they can devote themselves to the teaching of the Word, fellowship, worship and prayer.  As I pray on these four facets of discipleship, I am reminded of how important both Sunday school (small groups) and Sunday worship is to believers in Christ.  

How about you?  Are you in a Sunday school class or small group of believers who know your name and pray for you and help you grow and learn the Word of God?  Are you faithful in a regular habit of worship each Sunday to help you give your thanks and praise to God?  They may seem like simple, mundane events some weeks, but when followed regularly, it makes a difference that can best be seen in hindsight.  My prayer is that God keep us faithful to the mundane, but significant disciplines of growing a faith in God.

See you again on Thursday!

Dennis  

No comments:

Post a Comment