Monday, May 20, 2013

What Do You Believe - Really?

I've been reading some in Gregory McDonald's book, The Evangelical Universalist, which he wrote back in 2006.  The title intrigued me because I don't usually associate the word, evangelical, with the idea of universal salvation.  Nevertheless I always enjoy a good book, whether it's to learn and embrace new ideas or to learn why I don't agree with an author's viewpoint.  In chapter one where he talks about biblical interpretation he writes, "...a commitment to an inspired Bible is not a commitment to inerrant interpretations."
What he goes on to say in this chapter is that it's one thing to call the Bible inerrant, but that does not mean your intepretation of scripture, or my interpretation of scripture, is inerrant.  I must always consider the possibility I could be wrong at any time, in any place.

If we truly understood this truth, think how much more rich and insightful our theological discussions about sin, salvation and sanctification would be.  Instead of demonizing each other, we might actually hear each other's heart.  John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist movement once said, "Though we cannot think alike, can we not love alike?  May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion?  Without all doubt, we may."  I suspect that on the subject of universal salvation, even if it is Christocentric, we have those who believe in universal salvation and those who don't believe in universal salvation.  It's like some people believe in a literal hell as an after life for those who die, and have not professed faith in Christ.  Others do not believe in hell as an after life.  Yet others may believe in hell, but only as a temporary place, until God redeems the cosmos.

So, be watching for my new sermon series starting later in June of this year, when I talk about sin, salvation, sanctification, heaven and hell in a sermon series I like to call, "Basic Beliefs of a United Methodist Pastor."  When the series begins in late June, approach this sermon series with an open mind and an open heart.  You might learn to embrace some new ideas, or perhaps I will give you reasons for why you don't believe the way I do."  Either way, it can be a great conversation for both of us to grow our faith in Jesus Christ.


Dennis

1 comment:

  1. One of the problems that so many of our ancestors passed down to us was that the bible was inerrant.
    Getting past that to new revelation and to always being aware that we and yes the bible could be in error; is humbling and should keep us on our toes, always searching.

    ReplyDelete